Okay so I guess around these times is when I usually write a “best of” recap of the year’s music and fiction, but this year I didn’t get to spend a lot of time with those things. This is partially because 2016 was a trash year for the world, but also because of some cool stuff at home.
So just picking some movies and games feels silly this year. I don’t feel like writing about that. Instead, I’m going to rank last year’s events from best to worst. Cool? Cool.
- We havin’ a baby!
- I found out in 2016, but she shows up next month. Wild. This is keeping me pretty busy.
- I’m hoping to do more daddy blogging where I talk about raising a teeny tiny social justice warrior and eventual Empress of Earth.
- I got a great new job!
- I’m writing for a living and I’m working to make the world a better place. I’m kinda in to it, and I’m becoming a better writer for it.
- One thing that’s interesting about it is that I’m not writing as much fiction now, mostly because I’m writing so dang much for work. This is cool, because fiction can be a fun hobby instead of a desperate dream, but I do also miss fiction a little.
- Everything else.
- This includes cool art, like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (I know it came out last year, but I played it this year), Chance the Rapper’s Coloring Books, La La Land, and Adam Ruins Everything.
- Yup, that’s it, that’s my top game, album, movie, and TV. There’s a lot I haven’t read, watched, or played, so if I’m missing something I probably just missed it.
- Health food 😦
- My doc doesn’t like my weight and wants me to eat smarter and move more. I enjoy a lot of things, and none of them involve eating smart and moving more.
- I’ve been surprised by the emotional toll dietary changes can take. It turns out I care about food more than I’d like to admit.
- Plus, I never drank a lot but now some health stuff means I’m not supposed to drink at all and I miss beer.
- The world >:o
- OMG y’all I could go on for a while on this. I’ve said a fair bit on Facebook, I say even more in person (and on the phone with “representatives”), and I may well say more on this blog.
- I used to try to be polite about my progressive politics, but it turns out a few loud and powerful people want to set the planet on fire and strip rights from everyone who isn’t a wealthy cishet white man, and that’s not politics – just evil.
- You can’t be polite about evil.
Have a good year, everyone. Be strong. Resist.